This Clay Day at Home virtual pottery class is inspired by Spring + the fact that it seems like everyone bought egg-laying chickens during quarantine (including us – bawk!). MAKE YOUR OWN CLAY EGG CARTON and take your morning breakfast routine to the next level of farmhouse caayute.
Clay Day at Home lessons are perfect for people who are interested in working with clay but might not have access to a pottery wheel. All of the techniques can be done in your own home and you will be able to replicate on your own after the lesson.
Ceramic egg carton
Virtual Live Lesson: June, 24th @ 6:30pm mt
project tool guide
1. Your Choice of Clay *Clay is sold in 25 lbs bags. We recommend avoiding calico clay for this project.
3. Tool that can cut clay. We highly recommend the Mudshark, but you could also use a household item (plastic knife, kebab stick, etc.)
5. Rolling pin or rolling object that you are comfortable using on clay. A pop can works great!
6. An empty egg carton. The styrofoam type works best.
7. Bowl of water
Useful Tools You Probably Have at Home
- A round impress tool: egg, smooth round rock, ping pong ball, etc.
In support of our Black community and the fight against systemic racism + police brutality, for the month of June we will be collecting donations for the Montana Racial Equity Project in conjunction with our Clay Day at Home virtual pottery classes. In lieu of a class registration fee, Venmo a donation of your choice to @GarageClay with the description “Clay Day at HomeDonation” – or donate independently to a racial justice organization of your choice. We will make one lump sum donation to the Montana Racial Equity Project at the end of June with all class contributions we receive.
Please note: at the end of the Clay Day at Home lesson, you will have a greenware pottery piece. This means, your piece is fully formed but will still need to be bisque fired, glazed, and glaze fired before your ceramic creation will be ready for use.
If you are in the Bozeman, MT area, Garage Clay offers two glaze + firing options:
- GC Classic Matte White Glaze + Fire – $5 / item. You drop your bone dry pottery creation off at the GC driveway dropoff shelf, and we will fire and glaze your pieces in our classic matte white glaze. Completed pieces will be ready for pickup within 3 weeks.
- GC Fires + You Glaze – $2.50/per pound + glaze costs. You drop your bone dry pottery creation off at the GC driveway dropoff shelf to be bisque fired. You pick up your bisqued pieces and purchase a GC glaze to glaze your items independently. You drop off glazed items at the GC driveway dropoff shelf to be glaze fired in the GC kiln. Completed pieces will be ready for pickup within 3 weeks.