For all you quarantine bakers, elevate your sweet tooth display with this Clay Day at Home virtual pottery class + make your own cake stand!
Clay Day at Home lessons are perfect for people who are interested in working with clay but might not have access to a pottery wheel. All of the techniques can be done in your own home and you will be able to replicate on your own after the lesson.
Virtual Live Lesson: July 15th @ 6:30pm mt
project tool guide
1. Your Choice of Clay *Clay is sold in 25 lbs bags.
3. Tool that can cut clay. We highly recommend the Mudshark, but you could also use a household item (plastic knife, kebab stick, etc.)
5. GR Pottery form of your choice. The form mold will become the top of your cake stand. It works best to use a form 8″ across or less.
6. Base Template. Please download image, print, and cut out.
7. Rolling pin or rolling object that you are comfortable using on clay. A pop can works great!
8. Bowl of water
Optional, Highly Recommended
- Medex Bat to use as a working surface so your clay doesn’t stick to your table.
- Cutting Wire to remove clay from brick without creating air bubbles.
- Polymer Rib to smooth out your cake stand surface.
- Teethed Rib to efficiently score and slip the top + base of your cake stand together.
Useful Tools You Probably Have at Home
- Decorative impress tools: smooth pebble, leaf or flowers, plastic fork, etc.
- Measuring tool. Ruler or tape measure
Please note: at the end of the Clay Day at Home lesson, you will have a greenware pottery piece. This means, your piece is fully formed but will still need to be bisque fired, glazed, and glaze fired before your ceramic creation will be ready for use.
If you are in the Bozeman, MT area, Garage Clay offers two glaze + firing options:
- GC Classic Matte White Glaze + Fire – $5 / item. You drop your bone dry pottery creation off during GC retail hours (M + Th – 5:30-8:30; Tu + W – 12-4), and we will fire and glaze your pieces in our classic matte white glaze. Completed pieces will be ready for pickup within 3 weeks.
- GC Fires + You Glaze – $2.50/per pound + glaze costs. You drop your bone dry pottery creation off at the GC to be bisque fired. You pick up your bisqued pieces and purchase a GC glaze to glaze your items independently. You drop off glazed items at the GC driveway dropoff shelf to be glaze fired in the GC kiln. Completed pieces will be ready for pickup within 3 weeks.